Congratulations! You have selected the finest accordion hurricane shutters made to protect your family and home. Their strength and durability will provide excellent protection for many years. To protect your investment and keep shutters in top operating condition, the following simple preventative maintenance should be done regularly on your newly installed accordion shutters:
- Keep the Accordion Shutter tracks clean. Wash them regularly. Inspect for buildup of dirt, salt, insect nests, and other particles that may cause problems with the operation of your shutters.
- Lubricate the tracks at least twice a year. Use a clear silicone spray lubricant, such as Permatex Superlube, that can be purchased in a hardware store. DO NOT USE WD-40 OR ANY OILY LUBRICANT. Dirt and salt will build up faster with this type of lubricant.
- Lubricate the thumbscrews at least twice a year. We recommend using a product such as Never-Seize, which is available through Fastenal Company in Mt. Pleasant (843-388-0090). DO NOT USE WD-40 OR ANY OILY LUBRICANT. Lubricating the thumbscrews will ensure that you can remove your locking pins to close the accordion shutter. If you do not perform this maintenance, the thumbscrews will seize against the locking pins and you will not be able to close your shutter.
- Wash with warm water, soap and a soft brush at least twice a year. Wash the slats and the “ribs” (hinges) connecting the slats. The ribs should be cleaned with the shutter in both the open and folded positions to better remove dirt and salt. DO NOT USE ABRASIVE CLEANERS, PADS OR HARD BRISTLE BRUSHES.
- Be sure to operate your shutter at least once a month. This will help to keep your tracks clear and moving smoothly.
Please remember that your accordion shutters are moving walls of metal, not precision instruments. They must have some “play” in them and will make some noise when used. This is especially true during high winds when positive and negative wind pressures will cause the shutters to flex in and out. The noise your hear is normal and no cause for alarm.
Thank you for your business. Please call us with any questions you may have.